Thursday, April 15, 2010

Yard Work + Chocolate = A Great Day!

Yesterday was a busy day for us, we spent most of it outside in the gorgeous weather. We did a ton of yard work, which involved grass cutting, weeding, putting in new patio stones and sweeping up any debris from winter/spring.

At one point in the day I felt this nice, warm breeze and I paused to enjoy it when suddenly this beautiful bird flew about 2 ft away from me. He pecked a bit at our tree and then made his calling before he took off with the breeze again. Such a great part of my day. This little guy is called a red-naped sapsucker, check him out :)






The best part about our day was purchasing our composter! We are so excited about it. Even our lil guy keeps searching for worms, so he can give them a new home. Check it out! Between composting and recycling we hardly have any garbage, which makes us and the earth feel a bit better!








To celebrate we ate chocolate! I made these yesterday, remember my mention of un-baking. In the first picture is the cashew bar and in the second photo is the almond-raisin bar (as requested). They are both so delicious. I was inspired by Joanna, whose chocolate recipe I used. Check out her post here.


Raw Chocolate Bars
1/2 cup of cacao butter (melted)
1/2 cup of cacao powder
2T of agave
Any nuts or dried fruits
Sprinkle of sea salt
To make the shape of these I used the bottom of a brand new muffin tin.

Put nuts in the base of the tins and sprinkle each with a bit of sea salt. Melt the cacao butter, place in bowl and then add the cacao powder and agave. Mix till smooth and creamy. Then take a spoonful of chocolate and pour over the nuts in each muffin tin. Once done, pop it in the freezer for 15-30minutes. After they have hardened they popped right out of the tin.

I also want to make a couple different versions of these, one with mint leaves and the other with orange rind. I think they would be so yummy!

Enjoy your day!
~Maggie

No comments: