Monday, June 28, 2010

Weekend Soups


This weekend I made a couple soups I thought I would share. The first soup I've posted before, which of course is one of my favs! Ani Phyo's "Raw Sweet Corn and Cashew Chowder," you can check my previous post on it here. I thought I would share the recipe, but I actually found it on Food & Wine. It also gives you the nutritional information, which is always nice.

It really is a never fail soup recipe and the best part is how fast I can make it. Plus cilantro as the garnish of this soup is so refreshing, so if you have it on hand, use it! I didn't have any on hand this time around, but I did add some cayenne powder and a splash of olive oil. It's a nice option if you want a little heat.

The other soup I made was "Kreme of Mushroom Soup" by Rod Rotondi. I will admit I'm not a huge mushroom soup fan. I usually find that mushrooms can make a meal very rich and my stomach cannot handle it. This recipe, although mushroom rich, I was able to digest and handle without the stomach ache. It was nice, since I do enjoy mushrooms.


Serves 8-10 (I cut this recipe in half)
Ingredients
1/2 cup soaked cashews
2 cups soaked almonds
2 cups water
2/3 cup nama shoyu(substitute tamari or 1/2 cup miso past to make gluten free)
4 cups of fresh button mushrooms
2 medium cloves of garlic
Hot water for heating

Put the nuts and 2 cups of water in a blender and blend until smooth. Add the nama shoyu, mushrooms, garlic and blend. Before serving, heat the soup by stirring in very hot water in a 1 to 1 ratio of hot water to soup. The soup should be thick and creamy.

For the garnish I made my homemade marinated mushrooms recipe. This is a versatile recipe, just think about adding it to soups, pastas or on burgers. YUM!

Maggie's Marinated Mushrooms

4-6 Crimini Mushrooms (sliced thinly)
1 small clove of garlic (cut into small pieces)
1 tsp Namu Shoyu
Sprinkle of pepper


Place everything into a bowl and mix. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or longer depending on your taste. Then place in the dehydrator on low for 30mins or so. They will still be soft, but able to hold onto the garlic and seasonings. I found this step works well especially if your using the mushrooms for soup garnish :)

Enjoy!
~Maggie

4 comments:

Tash said...

Both look yummy! Still find it hard to think of soup as cold, to me it conjures thoughts of a warming winter dish! I'll have to try these some time and get into it! x

Anonymous said...

Soups are so delish and so easy! Maggie your's look great..mmm! Enjoy!

Melissa said...

Has it been cold on the island too?? Geesh I'm still in jeans here in the fraser valley!! So soup is definitely a must, and raw soup is that perfect temperature for this time of year.
Both those soups look amazing! I love chowders and so that corn chowder sounds so yummy!
I was a HUGE mushroom soup fan as a kid so I will have to give this one a shot for sure!!

Maggie said...

Hi Raw Butterfly :) I know what you mean about cold soups, took me awhile to get used to the idea too. I usually add warm water if the recipes calls for it :)

Thx Pam for your lovely comments as always :)

Hi Melissa! Yes it's still been chilly around here too. There has been maybe 2 days where it was warm enough to take my lil one to the water park, so soup is still a definite must :D And the mushroom soup recipe is surprisingly similar to the canned stuff we had as kids :D