Friday, June 25, 2010

Donut Bits

As a parent of a 3 year old, I find I am often showing, teaching, explaining and learning right alongside my lil guy. He is always willing to explore and discover what he can do. There is never a time where he doesn't want to make a big, fun mess, whether it be with his toys, blankets, books, crayons or with food. The best part about making a mess is showing him how to clean up a mess. It's fun seeing him learn and grow up into a little person. The other great thing about making a mess is that it can create some of the most memorable crafts, foods and memories.

This recipe is for when you want to have a bunch of messy, fun in the kitchen with you little ones.

"The C Donut Trio"

From left to right is coconut, cacao, and chia :)

The overall census was that coconut and chia were the favorites.




This recipe was inspired from two Ani Phyo's recipes(Donut holes & Lemon coconut bars). I made adjustments and voila here we are...

Donut Bits
2 cups almonds
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1 vanilla bean or tsp of vanilla extract
2 cups dates
1/4 cup shredded coconut
zest of 1 lemon

1. In a food processor, mix the almonds, salt, and vanilla. Once its processed into a fine powder, then slowly add you dates. Mix it up! I let my lil guy measure the ingredients here. Be sure to supervise the processing part, sharp blades and all.




2. Place mixture into a bowl. Mix the coconut and lemon zest into mixture.
This is a fun part for the kids, let them mix in the coconut and lemon zest with their fingers. Using their hands they get to feel the sticky texture and have a lot of fun. After it's mixed, feel free to lick your fingers clean!


3. You can use an ice cream scoop or just use your fingers to grab blobs of dough.

Let your kids roll and form little donut bits.






4. Choose any toppings you might have to roll your donut bits in. We used shredded coconut, cacao powder and chia seeds. This makes about 20-25 donut bits, depending on the size you roll :) I placed each of the donut bits on a cookie sheet and stored them in the fridge. They keep for about a week in the fridge.


Let your child be creative with the toppings. I asked my lil guy which he topping he wanted to roll his donut bit in, cacao or coconut and he replied "Both!" The result was delicious! I never would have thought of it either. Leave it to his imagination :)

Other Variations

You can also make these into cookies by forming them into a ball and making a thumb print in the middle of the ball. Add some raisins or carob chips for toppings.

I used two coconut donut bits as pancakes the next morning. Just flatten the dough with your fingers and top it with some banana slices and berry compote.

You could also use the dough as a pie crust. If you don't want the lemon and/or coconut taste then omit the second step in this recipe :)

Have fun and make a mess!
~~~
Free Give-Aways!
Fresh Local and Best is giving away an all-clad 12-inch stainless steel frying pan!
What Runs Lori is having a blogirthday celebration giveaway!
Rawfully Tempting is giving away Medicine Flower Vanilla Extract!
~Maggie

7 comments:

Kreesta said...

I want one!! D:

Maggie said...

I'd give ya one....but they are all gone! lol I blame my guy :) I'll be making more soon, and maybe I can get one to ya :D

Anonymous said...

Maggie, I have made these before too! Love what you have done to them....mmmm! Enjoy!

Maggie said...

Thank Pam, you're a sweetheart :) These are just way to fun to make, hehe!

Lorra Fae said...

I make her donut holes all the time! I used dried mango. Yummmm. They taste best cold, me thinks.

Maggie said...

Mmmm mango I should try that :D And yes they are so yummy cold :)

Lori said...

Oh my gosh those sounds delicious! I love Ani! She has some great recipes- especially desserts. ;)
Can't wait to try out your recipe and roll those balls in different "toppings." Mmmmmm!