The Fruit Fun Game
1. Ask your little one to pick out their favorite fruits. If you have a well stocked fruit selection more than likely there will be at least two fruits of similar colours.
2. Lay them on the table and then ask them which piece of fruit is what color or vice versa.
3. Once they colour co-ordinate (lol) the fruit, start chopping and dicing it into pieces (parental supervision here).
4. My little one really likes being part of every step, so this is a good time to ask them to put the pieces of fruit into a bowl (seperating the colors).
5. Once complete, start snacking!
6. Wait...we are not done yet! This part is even more fun, ask your little one what each fruit tastes and feels like after they eat it. This can help add new words to their vocabulary and help them recognize differences in taste and texture.
The great part about our game was that you can do this with vegetables too! My little one wasn't really into trying out different fruits. He immediately thought based on appearance that certain fruits wouldn't taste delicious. Keeping things fun, like color co-ordinating their favorite colours and letting them take part in the preparation of foods helps encourage them to try new foods.
Red: Strawberries and Watermelon
Yellow: Mangoes and Oranges
Now go have fun with your little ones in the kitchen!