Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vegan Baking Recipes

Well it's finally happened...the weather has turned itself into the summer season. I like to keep the temp down in our place if I can and since we don't have air conditioning it makes it a bit more work. I have to place fans in specific areas, open a close windows depending on the air flow to try to optimize. It's actually kinda silly and fun! Summer sure is busy, busy! I have a couple things on the go, plus life gets involved in there and before you know it I have no time for things I'd like to be doing. *coughs* blog posts *coughs* Anyways, I'm sure your all in the same boat or in a boat since it's summer time!

I'm going to be posting some lovely vegan baking recipes today that are not raw. You might want to try these out when it's not as hot out, so your house doesn't heat up, unless you have AC! Feel free to totally change and manipulate the ingredients in these recipes, that's the fun part of it all, yes?!



I warn you, these are the best pancakes I've ever tasted in my entire 28 years!!! So delicious that I did not add any toppings to them at all, no raw syrups, fruit, nut butter..nothing! They are so flavorful, and my lil guy LOVES them :)

Blueberry Chia Flax Pancakes by Maggie(livingfoodjunkie)
1/2 cup of applesauce
1 cup of nut milk
2 tbsp of lemon juice
1 cup of Whole Wheat flour (or whatever flour you would prefer)
1/4 cup of ground flax
1/4 cup of chia seed
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 of baking soda
1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/2-1 cup of blueberries

Combine nut milk and lemon juice and let it sit for 5 minutes, to make like a "fake" buttermilk. In mixing bowl, combine applesauce, and the buttermilk mixture. Add in brown sugar, salt, baking soda, flax and mix well. Add in flour, mix well. Fold in blueberries. Pour onto a non stick pan or griddle by 1/4-1/3 cup fulls. Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes. Makes about 12 servings. Roughly 130-140 calories per cake :)

~~~~~~~~~~~
Foccacia Flat Bread by maggie(livingfoodjunkie) No pictures sorry! :(

4 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp raw cane sugar (or whatever sweetener you prefer)
1 1/4 tbsp baking powder
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp dill (dried, if using fresh just add more to your liking)
1.5 tbsp Italian seasoning

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Knead to a dough consistency for 5 minutes. Roll out dough till its about an inch thick. Lay flat on a large cookie sheet and bake at 400 degrees until brown, roughly 15 minutes

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rustic Bread by Maggie(livingfoodjunkie)

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
4.5 tbsp of quick active yeast
1 tbsp salt
2 tbsp chia seeds
2 tbsp poppy seeds
3 tbsp sunflower seeds
2 tbsp flax seeds
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
3.5 tbsp of raw cane sugar
2.5 tbsp of coconut oil
2 cups warm water

Combine 3 cups of flour and remaining ingredients (except the warm water) in a mixing bowl. Once all ingredients are combine then add the warm water and mix. Add the remaining 2 cups of flour and mix until it forms a doughy ball. Knead dough for 5-10 minutes. Place back in mixing bowl, cover and let rise 30 minutes. Once 30 minutes has elapsed, pound the dough with your fists and knead again for 5-10 minutes. Shape into whatever bread form you desire (braid, french style, etc...) Cover again and let rise for another 30 minutes. Then bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
















~~~~~~~~~~
So there ya have 3 vegan baking recipes I've used a few times for breakfast, lunch, dinner and have brought to potlucks.

Hope you enjoy!
~Maggie

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh wow!! Those are some amazing recipes. I think I should definetly make the hubby those pancakes because he LOVES them!! Especially with the bloobs in there:)
My mom used to make her own bread all the time when I was a kid. Yours looks so good. Thank you for sharing these healthy recipes:)

Maggie said...

Hope your hubby enjoys the pancakes! And I hope the both of you are enjoying summer :D

Anonymous said...

Yumm-o!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipes. Due to some infections that I have and toxins I am on a special diet and your recipes will help.
HEALTHY LIFESTYLE ALTERNATIVES

Lori said...

Busy, busy! All of the breads look so good! I love that they're vegan!

Maggie said...

Healthy Mom - It's great to hear feedback like yours! I love knowing that a recipe or two I've come up with will help another out :) I hope you enjoy them as much as I did :)

Maggie said...

Hi Pam, hope your summer is going well!

Hi Lori! My hubby loves bread, so I don't think he could live without it for long. We try to keep it vegan and healthy, that way he can still enjoy and endulge :)